With the current rise in interest in scholarship applications online, there are several factors to consider when applying for scholarships online.
Today, two out of every three young people want to travel and study abroad, and considering the economic situations of most countries, especially in the African region, the best and most affordable means to travel and study abroad is through scholarships. There are cases of people losing their hard-earned money online while trying to secure a scholarship slot.
It is very disheartening to discover that a number of scholarships out there are not real but fake and dubious.
However, there are trusted educational news blogs like ours and a few reliable ones I will mention in this post that will give you an adequate guide for when and where to apply for a scholarship that’s legitimate online. Keep reading to find out;
What is scholarship?
Scholarships are a form of financial aid that is given to students with the purpose of helping them pay for their college education.
Scholarships are typically awarded on the basis of merit or financial need. They can be applied for by students, schools, and organizations. Scholarships can be either need-based or merit-based, but they cannot be both.
The term “scholarship” has its origins in Ancient Greece, where it was a reward given to scholars who had achieved excellence in their field.
How to know fake scholarship websites
Scholarships are a great way to fund your education and build your resume. However, not all scholarships are legitimate. The following are some warning signs that might indicate a scholarship is fake:
- Scholarship websites that cannot be found through search engines or have an address or phone number that doesn’t match the scholarship name
- Scholarships with vague or incomplete contact information, payment options, or detailed requirements
- Scholarship offers that come with unusual stipulations, such as sharing the award on social media
- Scholarships are offered by individuals via email who won’t meet you in person
How to know a legit scholarship application
There are a lot of scholarship scams out there. If you want to make sure that you are applying for a legit scholarship, then follow the tips below.
1. Check the legitimacy of the website.
2. Check for any contact information on the website, like phone numbers or email addresses.
3. Search for reviews about the scholarship on a search engine like Google or Bing and see if there is any information about it being a scam or not.
4. Look at who sponsors the scholarship and see if they have legitimate websites that have contact information on them, as well as reviews from past applicants and winners of their scholarships, in order to verify its legitimacy.
What is the best website to find scholarships?
We all want to go to college and get a degree, but the thought of paying for it can be daunting. Scholarships are a great way to help students with tuition costs.
There are many scholarships out there that students can apply for. But where do you find them? In this article, we will list some of the best websites where you can find scholarships.
Here are some of the best websites to find scholarships:
What information should you never provide for a scholarship or grant application?
When on a scholarship or grant application page that you’re not too sure about, refrain from the page once your credit card information is requested. Disclosing your address is also not a wise thing to do on such web pages. However, if you have read this post clearly, you will now be able to tell the difference between a real scholarship and a fake one.
Over to you!
If you are looking for scholarship opportunities and the best website to apply for scholarships, I hope you find this guide helpful.
Feel free to share your opinion with us through the comment section, and do not forget to share this post with others so they will learn how to spot a fake scholarship and be able to know which scholarship is worth their time.